Sunday, July 20, 2014

Place Value - 





Here is a printable copy of the template I used.  
First, we cut the place value chart, on the outer lines.  Then in the inner squares of each column, we made a slit on the top and bottom.  Then we cut the number strips.  Weaved them through the place value chart. Glued left and right sides of the PVC to a stiff piece of paper or tagboard.  Voila!

One activity we did with this was Show What You Know.  
I wrote the digits 0-9 on large squares of paper.  I selected 10 students and gave each a card.  Then I read a number to them and they had to arrange themselves in the proper order. I just had them line up along the white board at the front of the room, facing the class. Students at their desks created their numbers using their place value  sliders.  We compared answers, discussed any differences.  Then the students holding cards selected someone to pass their card to.  We repeated this a few times.  I also gave them different forms of the number - expanded form, expanded form with exponents, word form...

As an extension, I asked the students, how many numbers can be created using each digit only once?




No comments:

Post a Comment